THE PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND SOCIETY FOR MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE
Standing Rules – Revised June 2016
Privilege of Membership:
- Each Member shall receive a copy of the Prince Edward Island Society for Medical Laboratory Science (PEISMLS) By-Laws and Standing Rules.
- The PEISMLS is willing to provide provincial services free of charge to CSMLS Honorary Members (i.e. Honorary Members moving province to province).
- The PEISMLS is willing to provide residents from PEI attending a lab program acceptance as Honorary Members for the duration of their studies.
- Any PEISMLS member may submit a request to the Executive Board to acknowledge the death of a PEISMLS member, a member’s child, or a member’s partner. A donation of up to $50.00 will be made to a charity of choice; the submission will be reviewed by the PEISMLS Executive.
- Annual membership fees for Certified Active Members shall be $40.00.
- Annual membership fees for Certified Inactive and Certified Retired Members shall be $20.00.
- There shall be not less than four (4) Executive meetings a year, not including the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- The minutes of the last Executive meeting shall be sent out to the President within two (2) weeks of an Executive meeting. Finding no obvious errors or omissions, the President shall instruct the Secretary to send out a copy of said minutes to each of the Members of the Executive Board, as well as copies to all institutions employing PEISMLS Members within two (2) weeks of approval. The minutes of the AGM, and the agenda of the upcoming AGM shall be circulated to the Membership.
- There shall be an agenda circulated one week before all Executive meetings with all available reports and shall include:
- Business arising from minutes
- Reports from:
- Professional Development Committee
- Marketing and Communications Committee
- Any Ad-Hoc Committees
- New business
- Further business (i.e. set time, date, and place of next meeting)
Items not on the agenda shall be dealt with at the discretion of the assembly.
- It shall be the presiding officer’s responsibility to maintain order, propriety and protocol during the course of the meeting.
Reimbursement of Expenses:
- An “Application for Reimbursement of Monetary Expenses” shall be submitted for any monetary requests.
- A gas allowance shall be paid to the Executive Board Members traveling from outside a ten (10) kilometre radius to attend meetings. The gas allowance shall be equivalent to the gas allowance of the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- The following education funds shall be established:
- LABCON Registration Fund
Two thousand dollars ($2000.00) will be allotted annually for registration at the National Congress. Monies shall be distributed equally to all applicants and is not to exceed the early registration costs of the applicant. Applications must be received no later than thirty (30) days post-LABCON.
- MARITECH Registration Fund
Two thousand dollars ($2000.00) will be allotted bi-annually for registration at MARITECH. Monies shall be distributed equally to all applicants and is not to exceed the early registration costs of the applicant. Applications must be received no later than thirty (30) days post-Maritech.
- Educational Opportunities
Requests for other educational opportunities (other than LABCON and MARITECH), will be considered on an individual basis at the discretion of the Executive Board of the PEISMLS. A maximum of two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) will be allotted per Member per year.
- The President’s and the Vice-President’s registration fees for National Congress shall be paid for by the PEISMLS. Maritech registration fee shall be paid for the President or designate when it is necessary to attend meetings.
Duties of Elected Officers:
- One hundred percent (100%) attendance of Executive Board meetings is desirable. If two (2) consecutive meetings are missed, a written explanation shall be provided.
- The signing officers of the PEISMLS shall be the President, the Secretary, and the Treasurer.
- The Directors-at-Large shall be the auditors of the PEISMLS, examining the financial documents of the Society annually. They shall also act as “Sergeant-at-Arms” at the Annual General Meeting or any special membership meeting, for the purpose of determining who among those present, are eligible to vote on PEISMLS matters.
- Treasurer: In addition to the duties described in the By-Laws, the Treasurer will present a written financial report at each meeting of the Executive Board as necessary. The Treasurer will also endeavour to maintain a current list of PEISMLS Members (i.e. membership dues with both CSMLS and PEISMLS have been paid in full).
- Director of Professional Development (PD): In addition to duties described in the By-Laws, the Director of PD will present a written report at each meeting of the Executive Board as necessary. If necessary, a preliminary budget for the PD Committee will be presented for approval by the Executive in January. The Director of PD shall be responsible for the supervision and care of any texts, slides, etc. purchased by the PEISMLS. Available PD material shall be documented and made available to the Members.
- Director of Marketing and Communications (MC): In addition to the duties described in the By-Laws, the Director of MC will present a written report at each meeting of the Executive Board as necessary. If necessary, a preliminary budget for the MC Committee will be presented for approval by the Executive in January.
- After completion of a term in office, the retiring officer shall pass on all pertinent information.
- Vice President: Will be responsible for PEISMLS acknowledgements, i.e. Retirements, graduations, honorariums.
Budget Allotments for Standing Committees:
- Each Standing Committee of the PEISMLS, as listed in Section 17.2 of the By-Laws, shall be allotted a fixed annual budget to be used at each committee’s own discretion. The Maritech Host Committee is an exception, receiving its budget only in those years that PEI is to host the conference.
- Expenditures of Standing Committees shall not exceed their annual budget without prior approval for such over-expenditures being received from the Executive Board.
- The annual budget for the Professional Development Committee shall be set at one thousand dollars ($1000.00).
- The annual budget for the Marketing and Communications Committee shall be set at one thousand dollars ($1000.00).
- The Maritech Host Committee shall receive a start-up fund of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) in the same year that Maritech is to be hosted by PEI.